Wavy cap mushrooms, or Psilocybe cyanescens, are a common fungus that are native to the Pacific Northwest and central Europe. They also grow in parts of Central and Western Asia. The name comes from the wavy shape of their cap, which looks like a horse’s head. While they may look like a cap, they are actually a mushroom that feeds on decomposing forest matter. These fungi are usually found growing in wood chips.
What you should know about mushroom spores?
The wavy cap is a species of saprophytic mushrooms, which means that they derive their nutrients from decaying materials. Wavy caps grow best in areas that have ample moisture and shady conditions. They are often found near trees and shrubs, but they will also grow on wood chips and sawdust.
There are many types of wavy cap mushrooms. Some are common garden mushrooms, while others can be sought out wild. Some are toxic, and you should only try wavy cap mushrooms on a small scale. These mushrooms may be dangerous and should not be consumed by anyone under the age of 18. They are not recommended for pregnant women.
Wavy cap mushrooms are brown in color when young, but will change to a yellowish or cream colour when fully mature. However, they bruise easily, and the bruising turns the mushroom a bluish-green color. They grow about half an inch or two in diameter. When young, their caps are convex in shape, but will become wavy and irregular as they mature. They are sticky when wet, and bruise easily.